When you purchased a carpet, you may not have given much thought to cleaning and maintenance. The lure of a luxurious floor covering that lifts your interior décor scheme from ordinary to classy overshadows all other factors. If you hired an interior decorator to do up your rooms, the priority would have been aesthetics. You may have inherited an heirloom carpet, or you have wall-to-wall carpeting laid on in the home you just bought. No matter what the situation is, the priority is keeping it clean, hygienic, and looking its best. Today, hundreds of commercial cleaning products are available to tackle every carpet cleaning task. The problem is that not all of them are safe or free from harsh chemicals. Your squeaky clean carpet could give you allergies, pollute the air, or harm children, plants, and pets. The solution is to switch to environmentally friendly cleaning products. Read our handy guide on The 6 Main Benefits Of Using An Eco-Friendly Carpet Cleaning Company.
Why Should You Clean Your Carpets?
Floor coverings can swiftly get taken for granted. If you’ve had your carpets for years, it’s possible that they become so much a part of the room that you don’t consider them a separate item altogether. Sure, you run the vacuum cleaner over it as a routine, but is it truly clean? Your carpet must be cleaned to ensure that it looks great, and it is a matter of hygiene, health, and safety.
1. Longer Life: Cleaning your carpet is one way to extend its life span. It prevents damage from pests, fungi, and other microorganisms. When food and drink are dropped on the carpet, they offer nourishment for these pesky critters. Dirt, grime, and anything you step on get transferred to the carpet, weakening the fibers and backing. Areas that experience heavier foot traffic must be cleaned more often to ensure that they’re clean.
2. Health: Carpets are a dirt trap for a host of allergens, bacteria, and viruses. If you have pets, it’s a given that your carpet will contain pet hair, dander, and dust mites. Mold and fungus thrive in damp, dirty environments, and if your carpet is such a place, you can be sure that it is a breeding ground for a variety of invisible, dangerous organisms.
3. Aesthetics: Walking into a room that has dirty, stained, and moldy carpeting is hardly a pleasant experience. Clean carpets are a huge factor in keeping your home or office looking its best. Apart from looks, the psychological impact of a dirty carpet is huge too. Visitors and customers will immediately form a negative impression of you, your home, or your business.
4. Air quality: Apart from thriving in your carpet, nasty micro-organisms get airborne too. You could be living under a cloud of allergens and bacteria without knowing that their original home was your dirty carpet. Clean carpets help improve air quality and make your home or office healthier. Dirty carpets give off an unpleasant odor, and this can be a disgusting experience for visitors and guests. Dirty carpets reduce morale in the office and give your home that musty, neglected smell.
5. Investment: Carpets are big-ticket purchases. You can protect your investment by extending its life and usefulness. The way to do this is to keep it clean and well-cared for. This gives it a longer lease of life, and you don’t have to buy a new one for at least 10-15 years.
6. Rentals or Lease: If you’ve moved into a rental or leased property, it’s essential to have your carpet cleaned before you settle in. You don’t know whether the previous owners cared to clean their carpets. Protect your health and safety with a thorough cleaning right away.
The 6 Main Benefits Of Using An Eco-Friendly Carpet Cleaning Company
When choosing a carpet cleaning service, pick one that uses environmentally friendly cleaning methods, products, and equipment.
1. Price Factor: Eco-friendly carpet cleaning services use less water and power. Their cleaning products are generally made from commonly available ingredients. That is one reason why their services could be priced lower than conventional carpet cleaning services. These products can be used with cold water, so you use less energy, and your utility bills will be lower.
2. Biodegradable cleaning products: Cleaning releases the products into the earth, soil, and water. Eco-friendly carpet cleaners use products that don’t pollute our environment. The waste generated is usually biodegradable and decomposes naturally. The packaging and containers are also biodegradable. The ingredients used would be baking soda, lemon juice, vinegar, or hydrogen peroxide. Dishwash liquid could be used in small quantities to remove dirt and grease. These products are cheaper and renewable.
3. Safety: Most commercially available carpet cleaning products are heavily loaded with toxic chemicals. They include hazardous items such as perchloroethylene, which may cause dizziness, nausea, and fatigue with constant exposure, and other chemical naphthalene that harms the human central nervous system. Synthetic fragrances cause allergies. Most commercial cleaners may contain volatile organic compounds that release toxic fumes long after cleaning. Eco-friendly cleaners are more pet-safe and child-safe. Employees in your office will take fewer sick days off.
4. Faster process: Eco-friendly products usually dry faster. With these products, your carpet gets cleaned and dried much more swiftly and easily. You don’t have to wait for all the commercial cleaning products to get washed or steamed out before you can use them.
5. Extended Life: Detergents used in eco-cleaning are plant-based and contain enzymes that work gently into your carpet without harming the fibers. This helps to give your carpet a longer life while retaining the bright colors and texture.
6. Better Control: When using eco-friendly carpet cleaning products, you know exactly the ingredients. You don’t have to have an advanced degree in chemistry to understand complex chemical names. This means you are more in control of what goes into your carpet. Eco-friendly cleaning product manufacturers are usually completely transparent about the ingredients, and they value the health of their consumers and the planet we live on.
Getting your carpet cleaned professionally is a great idea. But commercial cleaning products contain a dangerous cocktail of toxic chemicals that harm the environment, people, pets, and plants. Choose eco-friendly carpet cleaning services and products to ensure that when you clean your carpets, you don’t unconsciously hazard health and safety.